Inactive SCRN Status
ABNN developed the Inactive SCRN status to recognize SCRNs who temporarily do not meet eligibility requirements for recertification (whether it be practice hours or CE hours) and do not want to forfeit their credential. Inactive status is appropriate for those planning to meet the renewal eligibility requirements within a 3-year timeframe from their expiration date. Candidates may reactivate their certification anytime during the 3-year Inactive status period, once the established renewal eligibility requirements are met. At the time of renewal, continuing education credits and other requirements must meet the time frame as defined at the time of renewal (i.e. within 5 years of submitting the renewal application).
In order to be eligible for Inactive SCRN status, candidates must:
- be a current SCRN in the last year of their recertification cycle (i.e. due to expire December 31st of the current year)
- have a current, unrestricted RN license
- not meet the recertification eligibility criteria, but is planning to return to stroke nursing (i.e. does not meet the practice hour requirements within the 5-year cycle OR does not meet the stroke CE hour requirement during their 5-year cycle.)
- Applications must be submitted prior to the end of the grace period for the candidate's current renewal cycle (i.e. if your certification expires on December 31, 2023, the Inactive application must be submitted between June 1, 2023 and January 31, 2024).
- No submission of CEs is required at the time of applying for Inactive status, however, in order to regain full SCRN status, candidates must meet the renewal requirements as defined in the year that they submit their renewal application. CE and practice hours must be earned within the previous 5-years. If eligibility is not met at the end of the 3-year extension period, the certification will no longer be renewable except by meeting the current exam eligibility criteria, paying the examination fee, and passing the SCRN exam.
- Candidates may NOT apply for Inactive status and deferment of renewal for two consecutive certification cycles.
Use of Designation
An individual who has been granted Inactive SCRN status may not represent themselves as a SCRN and may not use the credential during this 3-year timeframe. Once the Inactive SCRN submits their full renewal application and is approved, the candidate will then be able to use the SCRN credential. If eligibilty is not met at the end of the 3-year extension period and a renewal application with payment is not submitted, candidates will need to re-pay for and pass the SCRN examination earn the credential.
An $85 Inactive Status application fee must be submitted at the time of applying for the extension. In order to renew the full credential, candidates will need to pay the recertification fee as set by ABNN for that year.
Not sure which status is best for you?
View the chart below comparing the different status options available including Alumnus and Retired.